Morgan Class of 1987

Date: Friday, June 29, 2007 Time: 7:30pm - 12:00am Place: Water's Edge Resort, Westbrook, CT Cost: $65 per person

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Saturday's Events

(Dan May) Okay folks I am going to post this just to get it out in the air. For this reunion, as was stated early on events are put in the works for both Friday and Saturday. Friday night is pretty much the "adults only" dinner/dancing what-have-you at Water's Edge. Everyone seems to be pretty well satisfied here. For Saturday there is a wonderful idea to have a picnic at the Clinton Beach, and this is to be much more family oriented, with kids games and whatnot going on. There are a couple of issues that seems to be arising here though and I'm going to address it right here on the front page, like it or not.

The Clinton beach idea contains the drawback to some of not being a legal spot to drink alcohol. This being thought of as oriented around those with small kids I can fully understand why a spot that is alcohol-free is desireable to those parents that would rather not have that element involved. However there is also a valid point made by those that would prefer the option of having a cocktail if they so choose at a picnic of any sort. I can see both sides.

Brian Dalton so far has made the best comment on this situation that I've seen yet. He pretty much wants to see the most people happy. I agree with this completely. This whole get-together is about the entire class. Not any one individual or sub-group. I'm not siding either way here.
If Saturday rolls around and a picnic is being held with the idea that it's catered towards young children's activities, that's fine. Personally I probably won't make it to that. I think it's a great idea, but I don't have young kids. My kids are both high school age and I don't imagine they would be too jazzed up over such an idea. I'm not complaining, just being honest. I imagine in this class there are a lot of people with young kids who would have a great time at this. There's also some who have older kids and some who are single or are married but have no kids at all. I don't know that such an event would appeal to all.

This was why I suggested Hammonassett as a venue for a picnic. It's big enough and would accommodate everyone's desires. Alcohol is legal there in designated areas, and they do have families go to this park. I'm pretty sure I've seen families there from time to time. But I'm not here to ruffle feathers, only to suggest options.

This reunion is about YOU, the classmate. NOT our spouses. NOT our children. YOU must decide how you wish to spend Saturday. Again, I am not advocating for a switch of venue. But what I think needs to happen is #1, everyone needs to be informed of what is going on (in all aspects of planning) because it's for everyone. #2, people need to throw some input to the process so we can all see where the majority interest lies. The event needs to appeal to the largest number of people to make it seem like a "class of 1987 event". Otherwise I think people will simply splinter into smaller groups and go their own way, or head home. If an event caters to only a select portion of the class, then I believe only that select portion of the class will attend. If however, it appeals to the majority then the majority will attend. That's my opinion, call me crazy.

So, classmates, the ball is in your court. Speak up now. Even if you don't care either way. Your response should be-

Yes, I would attend the picnic at the Clinton town beach.
No, I would not be at the town beach picnic, however I would go to (insert your idea here).

I put this out here because I want people to be informed and I want as many people as possible to have a good time. If anyone's offended by my frankness, don't bother complaining to me because I don't really care. This thing is for everyone.

-Dan

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Danny,
Thanks for taking the time to get things MORE out in the open. I would be up for Hammo. or even someones/anyones backyard. Kids or no kids, CHUG down or not, outside food and alcohol are not allowed at the Clinton town beach. What is a picnic w/o grilling and a beer/cocktail? Plus, another factor which has been brought to light is...the water and small children. SOME feel Hammo. is the better choice because the pavillions are not as close to the water. Thus, easier to socialize w/o stress/worry. Doesn't anyone have a backyard? I have bounce houses, jumpies, water slides and am willing to put $$$ up for a Sam's Club run! I TRULY hope this will APPEAL to EVERYONE.

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan,

I agree with you Dan I think Hammo would be a great Idea.
1) There is more room at Hammo
2) Having a young one I want to spent time chatting with you all not trying to keep Sammie out of the water all day.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Morgan Class of 1987 said...

Some of you have been misinformed. "Outside food" IS allowed. And there is a $150 rental fee for the pavilion at Hammonasset. The large pavilion at the town beach is FREE. There will also be no beach fee at the Clinton Town Beach, unlike Hammonnassett.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not concerned about the beer or food. I am concerned with the fact that I would be so close to the water at the Clinton beach and that is not so at Hammo. (I would have a 8, 6 and 2 year old to watch) I would think that $150 is nothing for the safety of small children.

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey ANON.
I may have been wrong about the outside food, but I am not misinformed. (I read about the food on line and called the police about alcohol.) You don't have all the facts and your disregarding a safety concern for others. While my son can swim, would love to see a small animal show and play games, IIII would like to have an alcoholic drink if I wish and have an adult conversation while others aren't worried about, "Little ones." I'll put up the $150.00 for the pavilion even if I don't make it to CT. Another "Point" is, the activities being planned at the town beach are not encompassing to ALL. Some people don't even have kids. Think they want to go to a catered , non alcoholic, potato in spoon "Picnic?" Where are the burgers and hot dogs? Comparing the cost of the two food options alone would be cheaper than all the FREE-bees at Clinton Beach. Again, NO ONE has a back yard? Oh, and really, post your name next time.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan,

Well stated.

I think Hammo is a great mutual meeting place. It's summer for cryin' out loud. Bring on the hot dogs, hamburgers, volleyball & Frisbeeā€™s. Let's have a little competition, be ourselves, and have a cocktail if we choose. I'm sure we're all respectable people and will take into consideration there are kids around and not go overboard. I'm more than willing to pitch in for anything that needs to be paid for.
It's tough to please everyone but it looks as though from those that have responded, that many agree on Hammo.
There are many of us strong; I'm sure we can pull together as a class, $$ included, to set up a fun day.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the idea of doing down at Hammo is definitely the way to go. Thinking about the parking situation Hammo is definitely better for that and from what I have read might be a lot easier for people who do have smaller kids that want to go into the water.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Morgan Class of 1987 said...

(Dan M here)

$150.00 fee for the Hammonassett pavilion. Hmmmm. If we had every class member show that works out to, what? About $1.00 per person? Yeah I could see where that gets dicey.

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write very well.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home